Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm On My Internetz, Updating My Blogz

Hello all, time for another update. The food front has been pretty boring to be completely honest with you. With the exception of the awesome tuna steak sandwich I had at AW Shucks last night I haven't been experimenting much as of late. I've tended to fall back on "convenience food" even though I still try and prepare it as healthily as I possible can. Like last week we had tacos and when I make them I ALWAYS use turkey instead of ground beef> Brian likes turkey tacos so that's always a plus. I decided to get adventurous and try the Smart Grounds vegetable crumbles in my tacos since Brian's not too keen on fake meat (or "feat" as he calls it). They were super good, the texture was a little like room temperature cookie dough which was a little different but I think everything tastes awesome when it's covered in taco seasoning, it's pretty much a fail safe. I threw on some avocado, salsa, romaine and Tapatio and ate it before the X-Files theme even came on. I had a turkey taco the next day for lunch and it was just as good the second time around. I also tried out a new recipe for homemade protein bars which turned out really good. My recipe was based on a similar recipe I found on another blog called Love Veggies and Yoga and this woman makes THE BEST vegan deserts. I've also tried her "cookie dough balls" and they are freaking incredible. This is what I used in my version of Averie's No Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Coconut Oil Protein Bars:

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 mashed banana
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup sliced almonds (I crushed mine into smaller pieces by hand while incorporating them into the mixture)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
2-4 scoops of protein powder (I used Sun Warrior Raw Vegan vanilla protein but you can use whatever)

*optional: if you want to add some more fiber throw in 2 tbsp of chia seeds. I didn't have any handy but if I dd they'd for sure be in there too.

Throw all this in a big bowl and mix until everything is well incorporated. Play around with the amounts because sometimes the mix can come out too dry or too moist. I usually ad more oats or more peanut butter if either of those things happen. Line a baking pan with plastic wrap and spread the mixture and flatten out to your desired thickness. Put the mixture in the freezer and let set for about an hour. I took mine out and waited 15 mins in order to cut them into bars more easily and wrapped them in plastic wrap. because of the banana I would keep these in the fridge. They're so effing delicious and I recommend you try them if you're fond of bars. They taste WAY better than a power bar or something store bought and have a crap-ton of protein from the protein powder, almonds, and peanut butter. YUM. I think I ate mine in like three bites. That recipes should yield about 10 decent sized bars. Well, I hope you try out this awesome recipe and visit Love Veggies and Yoga for more awesome vegan deserts. Tomorrow is an all-day work day so no workout for me, but Wednesday it's back to hot yoga after a week of a pretty pathetic practice. Until next times, have good eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment