Sunday, April 18, 2010

O-L-D

I have decided to officially start my quarter-life crisis early at 24 instead of 25. Maybe the fact that I will be almost a quarter century old will kick my butt into regulating my workouts. But that's beside the point, it's my birthday tomorrow and, as I stated before, celebrated all weekend long to make up for a Monday birthday! Friday night I went out with some of my friends to our local Mexican Restaurant and got silly on a jumbo strawberry margarita. I had some delicious bean soft-tacos and rice and then forced myself to have some birthday cake ice cream at Norfolk Ice Cream Company because who can say no to ice cream?! Saturday was a party at my parents house. I got some really good presents including some really pretty jewelry from Satya Jewelry. It came in a pretty package and I received two necklaces and a pair of earrings from my parents.

We always have dinner and since the weather was so nice we ate outside. We have vegetables kebabs, baked potatoes and Alaskan king crab legs. I usually only get crab legs once a year and this year they were perfect because the meat came out in huge pieces and required minimal picking. My favorite part of a birthday party with my parents is the cake. My mom has had the same woman make my birthday cake since I was 9. She used to work with my mom and bake cakes on the side. Now she has "retired" from cake making, but says she will always make my cakes. I love her because she knows I'm a frosting person and I let her go nuts an put whatever on my cake. This year she outdid herself and made cupcakes with leftover batter and went flower insane. Needless to say, I was very happy with these decisions.

Today was much more subdued. Brian and I slept in and had a pretty lazy day. I started to mop and vacuum the kitchen floor, but our old vacuum just wasn't having it. My mom had bought that vacuum probably 15 years ago and gave it to me when I moved out and they got a sweet Dyson. Brian and I made a trip to Target ad bought a new vacuum cleaner and I'm so excited because it's bagless. Brian sure knows what to get me for my birthday! We also enjoyed a lovely vegetable baked ziti with homemade yeast rolls for dinner.

In fact, it was so goddamn good I had seconds and so did Brian. I had never made rolls before and it had also never dawned on me that I could make the dough in the friggin' bread machine! It sits idle on my counter when it could be making me rolls ALL DAY LONG. They came out really good even though I had to use almond milk instead of regular milk.

Dishes like baked ziti are great because they produce great leftovers. I'm not one of those people who needs a different dish every day. I'll probably be eating this for lunch and dinner for the next two days. I felt guilty about neglecting the blog so much this week, but too much was happening at one time. Thankfully, I've had a quiet evening to share my eats with you! Until next time, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment